Wednesday, January 14, 2009

SURGING WOLVES

The first chapter of the post-Kevin Garnett era in the Twin Cities did not look promising until a coaching change took place last December as erstwhile Minnesota Timberwolves VP for Basketball Operations Kevin McHale was named as head coach of the team for the remainder of the 2008-09 season. Randy Wittman was fired as T-Wolves mentor after steering the Wolves to a poor start with a 4-15 win-loss card.

McHale immediately felt the heat as he lost his first eight outings with the T-Wolves. As the team slowly adjusted to the system of the former Celtic great, things began to shine bright for McHale and the Timberwolves as they won seven of their next nine games and is currently on a five game winning streak.

The sudden turn around surprised a lot of cage pundits and eyes are keeping a close watch on McHale and his T-Wolves as the season progresses. McHale took time to sit down with Don Seeholzer of the Pioneer Press and candidly shared his views on the Wolves’ present form. Herewith is the full-length interview:

Q: You've been on this job for a while now. Has it been what you expected?

A: How we started off, it was really taxing. Just not having a lot of practice time and stuff. But I tell you what, the assistant coaches have been great and the players have been great. They've carried me way more than I've helped them.

Q: Any times of self-doubt when you were 0-8?

A: It was a tough stretch. I knew it would be a tough stretch. Yeah, you do kind of go through some periods, but I talk to the players all the time about having faith, and I have a lot of faith. You just keep saying, "I've got to persevere through these tough times. If we keep doing the right things, it'll turn." That's how I feel. You have to believe that if you keep on doing the right things, eventually it will turn in our favor.

Q: How personally rewarding has it been to see that happening on the court in the past couple of weeks?

A: It's been rewarding to see the guys smile. It's been rewarding to see them play better. It's been rewarding to see guys I really care about do well because it makes me feel good that they're doing well.

Q: Do you ever miss your old job?

A: I've been too busy to miss too much. I still find myself watching college games and looking at players and stuff like that. I guess I've been too busy to think about that at all.

Q: Is going back to the front office after this season an option? Have you and Glen Taylor talked about that?

A: We haven't talked about anything. We're just trying to get this thing going. I haven't thought about it. I've just been too busy with the team.

Q: Do you see yourself coaching beyond this season?

A: I'm more concerned about the next game and practicing and getting better. Everybody in their life has a plan, and we're not driving the bus all the time, so you know what? I'm just going to see what transpires and which way everything goes.

Q: You said on the day you took the job that this team appeared to be beaten down. Was getting the players back emotionally as important as the X's and O's?

A: My biggest fear, and I said this, was we were in the midst of a really rough time. My prayer was that they would be able to just maintain some confidence through that tough, tough time. That's what I mean when I say we're lucky to have these guys. They were able to bounce back, maintain some confidence, keep battling, keep coming to practice and staying positive. When you take over, you're worried about screwing them up more than you're helping them. ... Every coach will do things differently. If right now I was to step down and one of the assistants was to take over, they'd do things their way. That's the way you have to do it because that's what you believe in.

Q: But you're still committed to coaching this full season, right?

A: Yeah, yeah.

Q: You said from the start that you weren't looking forward to the travel. Has that been the worst part of the job?

A: You know what, I've found one thing with the travel. There is some quiet time for me to spend some time doing things I enjoy. So I've tried to use some of the down time on the road just to be more productive, and that makes it easier.

Q: Now that the team is back on track, what are the expectations for the rest of the season?

A: I haven't seen any team go 82-0, and I haven't seen a team go 0-82. There are ebbs and flows in a season, and you've got to be able to play through it. You'd like to see your team grow from adversity and learn from it. You'd like to see your team grow from success and learn from that. I personally feel that this team is a very talented team. The guys are great guys. They work hard. There's a good bond. There's a good chemistry. As I said when I took over, this team is still poised with good players here, multiple draft choices coming in, cap space coming up. This is very positive, but one of the things that's got to happen is this team has to improve every single day.

Q: What about Kevin Love? Do you see him moving into a starting role this season?

A: I could care less who starts. That's not something I really worry about. I see him playing better and better and better. The kid is a phenomenal rebounder, edging in on ridiculous. Competitive ... good instincts ... and he's 20 years old. Two years ago right now, he was playing at the Target Center about this time in a high school game. I couldn't be happier with him or happier for him that he's able to go out there and perform the way he has at his age.

Q: So he's performed up to expectations?

A: He's actually exceeded what I thought he could do, and he's only scratching the surface of what he can be. So that's good stuff.

Q: How satisfying has it been to see the team go through this transformation?

A: It's the players. It's not me. I'm just trying to help them as much as I can, but they're the ones that have to go out there and play. It's a credit to them as players. These guys are very intelligent players. I think the sky's the limit what this team can achieve. When you add into the equation cap space, picks and all that stuff, the future is very bright.

No comments:

Post a Comment