Friday, July 31, 2009

ACCUMULATED MILES FOR GILES

Smart Gilas Team Pilipinas may eventually bade goodbye to naturalized citizen candidate C.J. Giles. The 6-11 former Alabama State stalwart is currently making waves in the 2009 NBA summer league in Las Vegas, Nevada. Giles, 23, is submitting norms of 7.2 ppg and 7.0 rpg in five outings for the Denver Nuggets. He posted a tourney-high of 13 points and 10 rebounds in a 107-105 victory over the New Orleans Hornets last July 19.

Yesterday, I saw Giles in action for the very first time on Basketball TV. He pumped in 10 points and hauled down 7 caroms in a 77-70 win over the Washington Wizards. I was really impressed with his over-all game especially on his quickness and leaping ability. He saw action in only 19 minutes but the NBA TV commentators were truly impressed with the quality minutes that he provided for the Nuggets.

It will be a big blow for Smart Gilas if ever Giles makes it to the Nuggets regular roster come the 2009-10 season. From the looks of it, Giles had only the training camp and pre-season games to hurdle to finally make it to the big leagues. Giles had been instrumental in the Gilas impressive stint in the FIBA Asian Clubs Championship in Jakarta, Indonesia. He led the National Developmental pool to a 5th place finish. Samahang Basketbolista ng Pilipinas (SBP) President Manny Pangilinan had already given the go-signal to SBP Executive Director Noli Eala for the naturalization process on citizenship for Giles.

With the recent developments on Giles, Gilas Serbian coach Rajko Toroman will have to immediately scout for another prospect to possibly take over Giles’ slot in the National pool if ever Giles decided to go all the way with his NBA aspirations. Losing Giles at this point is another drawback for Philippine basketball as Smart Gilas is being groomed to eventually represent the country in the 2011 FIBA Asian qualifiers and a shot at an Olympic berth for the 2012 London games.

*****

One of the most intriguing rookies to ever play in the NBA is Brandon Jennings, the first round draft choice of the Milwaukee Bucks in the 2009 NBA draft. The 6-1 Los Angeles native went directly from High School to play pro ball in Europe during the 2008-09 season. Now that he has finally made it to the NBA, let us know what are his plans and how does he feel being one of the rookies to watch this coming 2009-10 campaign. Herewith is the interview conducted by Joseph Woefel of hoopshype.com with the 19-year-old cage whiz:

In Monday’s NBA Summer League game in Las Vegas, you were struggling with your shot all game. Yet, you let the clock wind down and buried a contested 3 to seal the game. Did you have any doubt taking that shot?

Brandon Jennings: You know I just like to play with a lot of confidence. I’m not the best shooter, but once I get going, I get going.

Throughout the Summer League you played in-your-face, full-court defense and constantly pushed the ball on offense. Is that something we should expect in the regular season?

BJ: Yea, that’s my game. I like to go out there and push the ball. Get everybody going.

What are your expectations for your rookie season?

BJ: Just help the team. Do whatever I can to help the team win.

Describe the level of competition here versus the Euroleague. Which is tougher?

BJ: Well, overseas it’s more physical. That’s about it. This game over here is more open and has a lot of athletic and great, talented guys. The competition over here is way better.

Obviously, you played a lot against Tyreke Evans of the Sacramento Kings in your high school days. How did the matchup go on Monday and who do you think got the better end of it?

BJ: You know he played good for his team. I tried to do what I could do for my team. Fortunately, we won the game and that’s all I’m trying to prove. That I could run the team and win games.

You’ve been playing against the top draft picks the past few months in pre-draft workouts and the Summer League. Where do you think you would have been drafted if you had played in the NCAA last year?

BJ: I don’t know. I really don’t care. I’m in a great spot right now with coach Scott Skiles. He was a point guard so you know he’s been helping me out. You know I’m happy where I’m at right now.

With high school star Jeremy Tyler going overseas now, do you feel like a trend setter?

BJ: You know I have been getting that question a lot. It depends, if he stays all the years. I think it would be good for the kid so he can grow up. If he stays over there and develops, he could be the number one pick in the draft.

Milwaukee is a blue-collar town. Will your style bring fans back to the game?

BJ: Hopefully. I put on a show for them when I was at the McDonald’s All-American game and hopefully they were there watching and will come out and support.

What’s your impression of Milwaukee?

BJ: It reminds me of Oak Hill (where he went to prep school). It’s quiet and peaceful and laid-back. I like it.

A lot of critics have been tough on you. The commentators in the first Summer League game questioned if you could run a team. Jason Jones of the Sacramento Bee reported that you had tripped Kings forward Jason Thompson. Do you feel you have a target on your back with the media?

BJ: Umm, I don’t know. I really don’t listen to it. I just play basketball. The first game I was a little overhyped and was really anxious to get out there and play. I lost all my energy in the warm-ups, you know, dunking and all that. That’s why at the beginning, I was just trying getting back used to playing. On the incident with Jason Thompson, it was an accident. Its basketball, everyone makes a mistake.

You have many nicknames Boo De Boo, Young Money, and more. Which is your favorite?

BJ: I have a new one called Young Buck. I’m the young Buck right now, so I’m going to roll with that one right now.

What’s something you need to improve on to get your game to the next level?

BJ: Getting stronger and going to my right. I need to work on my shooting.

You already donated $50,000 to the National Italian American Foundation’s (NIAF)/Abruzzo Relief Fund after an earthquake in the town of L’Aquila. Is there any philanthropy project you are working on?

BJ: This summer I am giving back to the park that I grew up at. It’s called Rawley Park in Gardena, California. It’s where I first started playing basketball, and I just wanted to give back.

No comments:

Post a Comment