Tuesday, April 15, 2008

CHANGING TIMES





In 1980, I bought my first-ever NBA magazine, the Game Plan 1980-81 NBA preview, at the National Bookstore-Harrison Plaza branch for only P 42.00. Then in 1982 I purchased a Basketball Digest featuring Moses Malone on the cover, for P 21.00 at the United Supermarket in Makati. Now, the prices of NBA magazines in the local market are as follows : SLAM at P 450.00/issue, NBA HOOP at P 575.00/issue and Basketball Digest at P 350.00/issue, respectively. Whew! How time flies!

However, if you find the prices astronomically high, you can try to settle with Tower Sports NBA magazine, a locally-produced quarterly publication, which sells at P 120.00 per issue except Issue No. 1 of each year, which is pegged at P 200.00. Its actually worth the price, as the said mag features great articles by who's who in local NBA media world such as Henry Liao (Editor), Quinito "The Dean" Henson, PBA Executive Director Ricky Santos, Bill Velasco, Ed Tolentino and Butch Maniego among others.

My sources of NBA magazines are not limited within the local market but through the help of my relatives abroad, like my sister in Australia, cousins in the United States and friends in Canada, they just keep pouring on. My sister, Sonia Martin, actually subscribed me before the Pro Basketball Today, an Australian newspaper-style publication, which touches on 90% NBA news and 10% info on the Aussie cage scene. Unfortunately, it has already closed shop, but lately, another outstanding basketball magazine from the land down under has emerged, HANDLE.
Anyway, I still continue to buy from time to time the SLAM and HOOP magazines from my friends in Emerald Headway, the exclusive local distributor of the same. Well, it seems very hard to stop an NBA junkie like myself from securing such even during these hard times, but no regrets! I just love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment